Sunday, February 15, 2009

GOD: me

"He must become greater, I must become less." - John 3:30

Think about that.

John the Baptist said those words. He was baptizing people when his own disciples came to him and told him Jesus was doing the same on the other side of the Jordan. They were worried that everyone was going to receive Jesus' baptism and not John's.

That was his response.

Do we really understand this? Do we live this out? Or are we too consumed with our selfish lives to stop and look at the GOD:self ratio?

I’m not writing this to chastise anyone or anything of that sort. But this realization came to me just the other day. How often do we really put God higher than ourselves?

We are a very selfish people. American culture is primarily focused on the self. Every day, media and pop culture vigorously advance the ever-growing kingdom of the self. Are we, as Christians, advancing the kingdom of God? I sincerely think that a lot of Christians are buying more into the kingdom to self.

Literally.

Why? Why are we more worried about the way we look and dress and appear to others than we are about God? Why do we complain about missing one meal when there are those (which God has charged us to take care of; Matt 25:40) who have nothing to eat at all?

I think it’s time that we decrease so that he may increase, and increase greatly. I know it’s harder than it sounds, and in all honesty it sounds pretty hard. If anything, I’m addressing this note to myself, using this as a means of self-evaluation. So to everyone reading, and me, I issue a challenge.

Let’s fix the ratio. Think about ways you can increase God in your daily life. What can we lay aside? What can we do? Think about it, and get back to me. Don’t forget the ratio.

GOD:me

No comments: